The Bible has been much revered, read and quoted by christians through 17 centuries. Today, some believe it is written by God, without any error and to be totally believed and followed.
But modern critical analysis of the Bible’s historical books has led many to believe it contains serious errors of fact, while modern life seems to have made many of the Bible’s teachings irrelevant and out-of-date. Some sceptics mock its teachings and those who follow them.
Is it reasonable to still believe in Jesus? And if we do, how are we to understand the Bible, especially its difficult passages?
I have been a believer, and a Bible reader and student, for 50 years. I believe God is leading us to new understandings of the Bible and its place in the life of a follower of Jesus.
And I hope you will walk this part of the road with me and add your insights too.
Check out a new (for many) way to look at the Bible here.
- Everyone disbelieves some parts of the Bible
- Interpreting the Bible
- What does the Bible say about itself?
- How Jesus and the apostles interpreted the Old Testament
- The Bible as story
- A tale of two covenants
- The story so far (a summary)
- Word of God?
- Is the Bible inerrant – and does it matter?
- Believing the Bible: the New Testament
- Believing the Bible: the Old Testament – 1
- Believing the Bible: the Old Testament – 2
- How should a christian read the Bible?
- The Bible: where the rubber hits the road